Sunday 24 July 2011

My View Is Better


My writing has stalled due to a bizarre conversation currently taking place behind the dividing wall that separates a row of computers and the study area in the library. Two women, I’m guessing well into their sixties were both witnesses to a particularly grizzly road accident in the town centre several days ago. They seemed to be both scoring points off each other, one having a better view because she was closer to the kerb whilst the other had an even better view of the blood from were she was standing. The conversation was miraculously halted by the Library Assistant who asked them to quieten down but was unaware that they had broken the key rule of library stewardship and will certainly be dismissed tomorrow morning. This is a library for fuck’s sake, you are allowed to make as much noise as you wish, unless you are me and happen to be playing loud music through headphones and then you are submitted to an embarrassing assault from a platoon of Library Assistants, all intent on reminding me this is a library, and that I had ten seconds to shut the fuck up or else.

For those of you who are remotely interested, the road accident did indeed take place. I witnessed it, I was walking by after returning from Caffe Nero, and I could see two feet from under a blanket, and yes there appeared to be lots of blood on the tarmac, but unlike the two old women, I had a shit view.

No comments:

Post a Comment