Sunday 10 July 2011

Couponwoman


Somebody recently accused me of making all this up but I challenge anyone to spend one hour in my local library and not find a complete psychopath intent on library mayhem. Anyway let me move swiftly on to Couponwoman. I first spotted her several months ago (24 May) when she lumbered over to my desk and sat next to me. At first she appeared quite normal, working through a simple Sudoku. Normality ended ten minutes later when she started drawing out the grid for a Sudoku on scrap paper, from another newspaper then started to complete it. I was intrigued as I gawped through clenched fingers. A blue striped canvas bag sat by her side, which I assumed contained her washing but I was completely fooled. The bag contained a multitude of magazines and newspapers and other crossword cuttings and Sudoku puzzles. I was perplexed. Many of these puzzles seemed to date back decades. There must have been thousands of puzzles in that bag and it must have weighed a bloody ton!

Occasionally she would produce a pair of scissors and start cutting out crossword puzzles then pasting them into a scrapbook, messily, childlike, and completely bizarre but Couponwoman was manically content so who am I do judge. Oh, and why Couponwoman? Well periodically she would cut out coupons, anything really, 2 for 1 offers on toothpaste to special offers on frozen sausages to free night accommodation offers in the Loire Valley with all the usual catches, but somehow I couldn’t see Couponwoman in the Loire Valley. She would then stack the coupons into neat piles then rubber band then together. Couponwoman also comes complete with a nasal deformity, meaning she needs to clear her throat and nose every other minute. My only regret is that Couponwoman hasn’t met Josef yet, but there is still time.

No comments:

Post a Comment